How is it tax-free...
If you intend to leave the country within 3 months and
your place of residence is not in Turkey, you can obtain a refund for the value-added tax
(VAT) for what you bought in Turkey.
The first thing you should do is identify retailers
authorized for tax-free sales from the certificates or stickers on doors or windows.
Remember non-authorized outlets won't get you a refund.
Make not of the following list:
- Minimum eligible amount is 3 million TL (Turkish Lira) as
of June '96.
- You'll need your passport and visa to show the shop.
- Retailer will give you all three copies of the receipt. VAT
will show separately on the receipt. Keep'em all.
- At the customs, have with you the receipt(s) with all
copies and the articles you'll be asking the tax refund on.
- Have the customs officer stamp and validate all three
copies of your receipt(s) and, if available, retailer issued refund check.
- Leave two copies with the customs officer and keep one copy
for future reference.
How're you doing so far?
There are four ways to get your refund. Consult the
retailer as to which one of these he/she is able to use.
- Refund through a bank check, to be cashed at a bank in the
- Refund on your next visit, if you plan to go back within a
month of your departure
- Cash paid at the time and point of sale
- Refund by mail
For more information, call or write to:
Ministry of Finance and Tax Department
Ulus, Ankara 06100
Ph: (312) 310 3880